Where to Stay for the Velo-Valley Vistas
The Lehigh Wheelmen and Discover Lehigh Valley have been able to negotiate special rates with Comfort Inn for the Velo-Valley Vistas weekend:
Comfort Inn Lehigh Valley West, 7625 Imperial Way, Allentown, PA 18106 is offering a rate of $119 per night plus tax for one to four persons per room. (The regular rate is $146.) Reservations must be made by May 10th to obtain special offer. Rate includes a complementary hot breakfast each morning. To make a reservation, call 610-391-0344 and tell them you are participating in Velo-Valley Vistas.
Other lodging possibilities near the Velodrome include:
- Hilton Garden Inn Allentown West, 230 Sycamore Road, Breinigsville, PA 18031.
- Glasbern, 2141 Packhouse Road, Fogelsville, PA 18051 is a beautiful B&B in the country.
- Sleep Inn, 327 Star Road, Allentown, PA 18106.
- Hawthorn Suites, 7720 Main Street, Fogelsville, PA 18051.
- Holiday Inn Allentown I-78, 7736 Adrienne Drive, Breinigsville, PA 18031.
- Homewood Suites Allentown West, 7686 Industrial Blve, Allentown, PA 18106.
Lehigh Valley Themed Rides
- The Frying Dutchman, Kutztown, 35 miles, 1327 feet of climbing: Rolling hills out and flat on the return. Enjoy the area's best made-to-order donuts (you've earned it)! Route link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/11371946
- The Oley Turnpike Dairy, 43 miles, 2023 feet of climbing: Start with a nice flat warmup out to Bowers then climb up to Dryville and over South Mountain. Be ready for a beautiful downhill ride on the south side of South Mountain and into the Oley Valley. Stop at the Oley Turnpike Dairy for some fantastic ice cream before starting the return to the Velo. Route link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15614071
- Crystal Cave, Kutztown, 37 miles, 1651 feet of climbing: Head north and west from the Velodrome to Rodale Farm. Continue along the scenic Saucony Creek before arriving at Crystal Cave, an old-time tourist attraction. Rolling out and flat on the return. Route link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19429766
- The Market Cafe, Topton, 21 miles, 744 feet of climbing: A shorter route option to one of the LWA's favorite stops. On the way out you'll pass by the historic Longswamp church and through a beautiful little valley before desending into Topton. The highlight on the return is a run down one of our favorites: the Trexler Mile. Route link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19430032
- Trexler Nature Preserve, Schnecksville, 33 miles, 2140 feet of climbing: This ride starts at Upper Macungie Park, 4 miles north of the Velodrome. This is the LWA "Buffalo Ride" through the beautiful Trexler Nature Preserve where you'll have an opportunity to stop and observe not only the Bison but also a herd of Elk. Route link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19894132
- Covered Bridges Ride, 30 miles, 1966 feet of climbing: This ride starts at Covered Bridges Park 10 miles northeast of the Velodrome. The Lehigh Valley has some amazingly beautiful old covered bridges we'd like to share with you (these bridges eat bike wheels; walk your bikes on bridges). Route link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19900771
- Wine Country Tours: We're offering two tours. The "4 Winery Joy Ride" starts at Upper Macungie Park with a distance of 32 miles and 1727 feet of climbing. Route link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20042101 The "7 Winery Tough Tour" from the Velodrome is a bit more challenging with a distance of 38 miles and 2709 feet of climbing. Route link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20728307
Take a look at the 2017 Donut Derby SLIDESHOW!!!
The Lehigh Wheelmen invite you to participate in the 2018 Donut Derby on Labor Day, September 3rd. The DD is a fun 36 mile race with a twist: Get a 3 minute time credit for each donut eaten at stops positioned at mile markers 12 and 24. Donut-adjusted time determines the winner in several age categories. Lunch and an awards ceremony follow the ride.
Valley Preferred Cycling Center (the T-Town Velodrome)
- Online registration only $30 per rider
- Registration closes August 30th or when event fills
- There is no day-of-event registration
- Sign-in opens at 7:30 am on September 4th
- The race begins promptly at 9:00 am
The Munchkin Mile:
After the Donut Derby your children, age 10 and under, will be able to participate in the Fourth Annual Munchkin Mile. Your ‘munchkins’ will be given the opportunity to ride 5 laps on the Valley Preferred Cycling Center T-Town Velodrome, home of world-class bicycle racing. For those who have not mastered two-wheelers, training wheels and trikes are allowed. Munchkins (the food) will be offered to keep your kids refueled. Medals will be awarded at the completion of the event.
Try the Track
Saturday May 26th, 3:00 to 6:00 pm
The Lehigh Wheelmen Association is a proud supporter of the Valley Preferred Cycling Center (also know as the T-Town Velodrome). On Saturday May 26th from 3:00 to 6:00 pm in conjunction with the Velo-Valley Vistas Weekend, VPCC will be offering you an opportunity to Try the Track. The Try the Track program at the Valley Preferred Cycling Center allows riders to get on a track bike and learn to ride and even race from some of the best people to ever do it. The Try the Track program is a great, ground-level opportunity for those with even the smallest interest in track cycling to experience the sport on one the best velodromes in the world. The three-hour clinic includes instructions on bike safety, riding safely, riding techniques, and even some racing tips as well. Equipment (helmet and bicycle) are provided, however, bringing own equipment is encouraged. Register online at BikeReg for the Try the Track Event. Cost is $75 per person and includes use of a track bike and 2 hours of professional coaching. The registration deadline is Monday, May 22nd at noon and the event is limited to 40 cyclists.
Stop by the Velodrome at 9:00 am for the Velo Farmers' Market and stay for Masters and Rookies racing on the track at 12:00 Noon.
Gap Gallop 2016
Hosted by the Lehigh Wheelmen Association
Date: Sunday September 18, 2016
Start Location: DeSales University, Center Valley, PA
Click on a Mileage Option for More Info
Challenge yourself on an optional climb of Fiddlers Elbow!
(There's a prize for getting to the top)
Great Rest Stops with Home Made Goodies!
Registration will open in May
No registration on event day.