Where to Stay for the Velo-Valley Vistas
The Lehigh Wheelmen and Discover Lehigh Valley have been able to negotiate special rates with Comfort Inn for the Velo-Valley Vistas weekend:
Comfort Inn Lehigh Valley West, 7625 Imperial Way, Allentown, PA 18106 is offering a rate of $120 per night plus tax for one to four persons per room. (The regular rate is $149.) Reservations must be made by May 11th to obtain special offer. Rate includes a complementary hot breakfast each morning. To make a reservation, call 610-391-0344 and tell them you are participating in Velo-Valley Vistas.
Other lodging possibilities near the Velodrome include:
- Hilton Garden Inn Allentown West, 230 Sycamore Road, Breinigsville, PA 18031.
- Glasbern, 2141 Packhouse Road, Fogelsville, PA 18051 is a beautiful B&B in the country.
- Sleep Inn, 327 Star Road, Allentown, PA 18106.
- Hawthorn Suites, 7720 Main Street, Fogelsville, PA 18051.
- Holiday Inn Allentown I-78, 7736 Adrienne Drive, Breinigsville, PA 18031.
- Homewood Suites Allentown West, 7686 Industrial Blve, Allentown, PA 18106.
LWA Favorite Rides
- The Frying Dutchman, Kutztown, 35 miles, 1327 feet of climbing: Rolling hills out and flat on the return. Enjoy the area's best made-to-order donuts (you've earned it)! Route link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/11371946
- The Oley Turnpike Dairy, 43 miles, 2023 feet of climbing: Start with a nice flat warmup out to Bowers then climb up to Dryville and over South Mountain. Be ready for a beautiful downhill ride on the south side of South Mountain and into the Oley Valley. Stop at the Oley Turnpike Dairy for some fantastic ice cream before starting the return to the Velo. Route link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15614071
- Crystal Cave, Kutztown, 37 miles, 1651 feet of climbing: Head north and west from the Velodrome to Rodale Farm. Continue along the scenic Saucony Creek before arriving at Crystal Cave, an old-time tourist attraction. Rolling out and flat on the return. Route link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19429766
- The Market Cafe, Topton, 21 miles, 744 feet of climbing: A shorter route option to one of the LWA's favorite stops. On the way out you'll pass by the historic Longswamp church and through a beautiful little valley before desending into Topton. The highlight on the return is a run down one of our favorites: the Trexler Mile. Route link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19430032
- Trexler Nature Preserve, Schnecksville, 33 miles, 2140 feet of climbing: This ride starts at Upper Macungie Park, 4 miles north of the Velodrome. This is the LWA "Buffalo Ride" through the beautiful Trexler Nature Preserve where you'll have an opportunity to stop and observe not only the Bison but also a herd of Elk. Route link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19894132
- Covered Bridges Ride, 30 miles, 1966 feet of climbing: This ride starts at Covered Bridges Park 10 miles northeast of the Velodrome. The Lehigh Valley has some amazingly beautiful old covered bridges we'd like to share with you (these bridges eat bike wheels; walk your bikes on bridges). Route link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19900771
- Wine Country Tours: We're offering two tours. The "4 Winery Joy Ride" starts at Upper Macungie Park with a distance of 32 miles and 1727 feet of climbing. Route link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20042101 The "7 Winery Tough Tour" from the Velodrome is a bit more challenging with a distance of 38 miles and 2709 feet of climbing. Route link: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20728307
Your Registration will Benefit Community Bike Works and World Bicycle Relief!
Memorial Day Weekend, May 24th - May 27th
The Main Event - Sunday, May 26th
Routes and Start Times:
Click here for Sunday, May 26th Route Details.
- 7:00 am - 105 Mile (101 without Hawk Mt)
- 8:00 am - 66 Mile (Metric Century) (62 withouth Hawk Mt)
- 9:00 am - 42 Mile
- 10:00 am – 20 Mile Family Friendly
New this year: Lehigh Wheelmen Volunteers (look for the yellow vests) will be on the ride if you prefer riding with someone familiar with the routes.
Main Event Details:
The Lehigh Wheelmen Association is honored to present our third annual Velo-Valley Vistas Charity Ride on May 26, 2019. The course will begin at the world-class Valley Preferred Cycling Center (aka T-Town) Velodrome and follow our favorite roads north and west into the Hawk Valley. You will travel on what have been described as the most scenic, low-traffic cycling roads east of the Mississippi! The focus will be a Spring Metric 62 mile ride, but we offer a variety of mileage options from a family-friendly flat 20 to a challenging 104 miles. For the ultimate challenge, conquer the optional climb up Hawk Mountain and receive a prize along with bragging rights. Themed rest stops will include Wanamakers General Store (LWAs perennial favorite rest stop) with homemade baked goods, energy drinks and other goodies to fuel your ride. To top it all off, the ride culminates with a lap on the Velodrome track followed by a light lunch!
Valley Preferred Cycling Center
1151 Mosser Road
Breinigsville, PA 18031
Register for the Sunday, May 26th ride at BikeReg
- Registration prior to May 19, 2019 (by 11:59 pm):
Adults (16 years and over): $ 45.00
Children & Youth (Under 16 years): $20.00
- Registration May 20-24, 2019 (by 11:59 pm):
Adults (16 years and over): $ 55.00
Children & Youth (Under 16 years): $ 30.00
- Day of Event Registration:
Adults (16 years and over): $ 60.00
Children & Youth (Under 16 years): $ 35.00
Your fee includes well stocked rest stops every 20 miles, SAG support, mechanic tents and self-supported themed club routes, RwGPS routes for event and a complimentary light lunch and beverages following the ride.
Be sure to include your team (bike club, business coworkers, civic organization, church, etc.) when you register. Teams will be recognized for:
- Most charity dollars raised for CBW and WBR
- Most participants
- Most cumulative miles ridden by your team
Make it a Destination Weekend
We encourage you to add to your Lehigh Valley experience and make this a destination weekend. We’ve partnered with the Velodrome to offer VVV participants a Try the Track class complete with track bikes and professional instruction on Saturday, May 25th from 3:00 to 6:00 pm.
Visit Discover Lehigh Valley for some great suggestions of things to do and see.
Ride a few of Our Favorite LWA Lehigh Valley Rides:
We invite you to explore the Lehigh Valley on a self-supported ride using these GPS routes of some of our Favorite LWA Rides on Friday, May 24th, Saturday, May 25th and Monday, Memorial Day, May 27th.
Or, if you prefer a ride led by a Lehigh Wheelmen Ride Leader, visit our LWA Meetup Calendar and join the club on a LWA club ride.
Weekend Lodging Options:
If you are planning to stay one or more nights in the Valley for the VVV Weekend, we suggest these Lodging Options
Try the Track
Saturday May 25th, 3:00 to 5:30 pm
The Lehigh Wheelmen Association is a proud supporter of the Valley Preferred Cycling Center (also know as the T-Town Velodrome). On Saturday May 25th from 3:00 to 5:30 pm in conjunction with the Velo-Valley Vistas Weekend, VPCC will be offering you an opportunity to Try the Track. The Try the Track program at the Valley Preferred Cycling Center allows riders to get on a track bike and learn to ride and even race from some of the best people to ever do it. The Try the Track program is a great, ground-level opportunity for those with even the smallest interest in track cycling to experience the sport on one the best velodromes in the world. The 2 1/2 hour clinic includes instructions on bike safety, riding safely, riding techniques, and even some racing tips as well. Equipment (helmet and bicycle) are provided, however, bringing own equipment is encouraged. Register online at BikeReg for the Try the Track Event. Cost is $50 per person and includes use of a track bike and 2 hours of professional coaching. The registration deadline is Monday, May 20th at noon and the event is limited to 40 cyclists.
Stop by the Velodrome at 9:00 am for the Velo Farmers' Market and stay for Masters and Rookies racing on the track at 12:00 Noon.
The Lehigh Wheelmen invite you to participate in the 2019 Donut Derby on Labor Day, September 2nd. The DD is a fun 36 mile race with a twist: Get a 3 minute time credit for each donut eaten at stops positioned at mile markers 12 and 24. Donut-adjusted time determines the winner in several age categories. A complementary lunch for DD racers and an awards ceremony follow the ride.
Valley Preferred Cycling Center (the T-Town Velodrome)
- Online registration only: $35 per adult rider; $25 for riders 12-19
- Registration closes August 29th or when 350 are registered. Register early; the event sold out in 2018.
- There is no day-of-event registration
- Sign-in opens at 7:30 am on September 2nd
- The race begins promptly at 9:00 am
The Munchkin Mile:
After the Donut Derby your children, age 10 and under, will be able to participate in the Fifth Annual Munchkin Mile. Children will be registered during lunch at the track entrance. There is no cost for participation in the Munchkin Mile. The event is limited to children of DD riders, LWA members and volunteers. Your ‘munchkins’ will be given the opportunity to ride 5 laps on the Valley Preferred Cycling Center T-Town Velodrome, home of world-class bicycle racing. For those who have not mastered two-wheelers, training wheels, strider bikes and trikes are allowed. Munchkins (the food) will be offered to keep your kids refueled. Medals will be awarded at the completion of the event.